11th Masonic District Grand Lodge of New Jersey - Chatham Lodge No 33 preceded Madison Lodge when what is now Madison was still Chatham. Chatham Lodge was formed on November 8, 1814 and met in a building on what is now the Southeast corner of Waverly Place and Main Street. Its first Master was Jepthah B. Munn, a prominent local physician and surgeon. For reasons unknown, it stopped meeting 10 years later.
Madison Lodge was formed by 3 Masons from Cincinnati Lodge in Morristown, 2 from other lodges in New Jersey, 1 from a lodge in Washington, D.C. and 3 from lodges in New York. The original nine members from Madison were Bernard H. Nadal, James M. Tuttle, James W. Tuttle, Alexander H. Tuttle, Stephen D. Hunting, George H. Hancock, William H. Gardiner, Peter J. Heltman, and John Simpson.